Monday, November 19, 2007

11/19--Another Day

Whoohoo- I now got this blog posting down pat (except
for the pics- can’t do that til I return home). I
email the posting to pops, and then he updates it for
me. For some reason, I can’t do much with the blog
site here in Africa- I can never get through??

Anyhoo, so the latest:

Tomorrow I start teaching Kindegarten at Hope School.
They are terribly adorable. When I spoke with the
supervisor for kindergarden in their classroom to
organize the lesson plans last week, they all ran up
to me and kissed my hand and cheek. At first, I sort
of winced as they all have nose goo running down their
face, but the fellow Americans here that are teaching
English gently nudged me and said that it was ok. So
I let them kiss away. Millions of kisses all over.
And immediately, what do you know, I got sick with a
cold. But it was worth it:).

Today I laughed and giggled with Kalkidan (it
translates into Promise – they all have beautiful
names here in Amharic btw- they all translate into
Bible names, promises, visions, hopes etc), a 5th
grader. Last week, I asked her what she wants to do
when she is older and out of school -- she explained
that she wants to be a model. So every time I've seen
her at school I take out my hair band, let my hair
flow down, and strut towards her with my shades tipped
pretending to walk down a runway like a model. She
just laughs and laughs and laughs, a hearty laugh from
the depths of her belly. If there’s certainly one
thing I was born to do, it was to make kids laugh and
smile, even if it’s because I am being a little crazy.
I just want them smiling. We even took pictures with
my camera joking around pretending to be models. I
kept telling her that she needs to start practicing
today:). I will have to post them later.

3 weeks here at Hope school is way too short to make
the difference I want to. I will just start to be
having open conversations with these kiddos about life
and God just before I go I know it. I am envious of
the 4 Americans here teaching for 1 full year, however
I just don’t know if that’s my calling. So, while I
am here, I am giving it all. I’ve got 10 days left to
rock the world for impacting these kiddos.

Bye for now! Tomorrow is time spent at the feeding
center.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Callie-What a touching experience you are having! Look forward to following your journey the next couple of weeks.

-Lisa D.